In summary, we didn’t go. In either year.
“At an Extraordinary General Meeting of the [Women’s Amateur Rowing] Association held on the 26th October  to receive a report on the 1954 Women’ European Rowing Championships and to discuss the Association’s policy for 1955 and 1956 the following resolution was passed: ‘In general clubs should work on a two year plan in view of the European Championships in Yugoslavia in 1956.’ It was, however, agreed that if an outstanding crew should emerge in time they should be considered by the selectors as a possible entry for the European Championships in Rumania in 1955.” – The Oarswoman, October 1954
The 1955 Women’s European Rowing Championships were held in Bucharest, Romania (but the men’s Championships were in Ghent in Belgium, so there wasn’t even scope to save on logistics by sending men’s and women’s boats on the same trailer), and the 1956 Championships were at Bled in what was then Yugoslavia where the men’s championships were also taking place (in addition to the Olympic Regatta in Melbourne because it was outside Europe).
The main reason for not sending crews to either was almost certainly finance, although now that GB knew what the international standard was, a lack of clearly competitive crews was doubtless another factor. In 1956 a United Universities WBC initially applied to represent GB but, according to a note in The Oarswoman, “Eventually decided they were not good enough to ask to be sent officially and withdrew their application.”
The 1956 Championships were notable because they were the first ones in which East German crews competed (although FISA only accepted a single German entry so East and West German crews had to race off separately in advance to determine which country got each slot). They got two bronze medals that year which established their winning ways from then on.
Fundraising for the future
Wonderful initiatives continued apace to raise funds for future international competition, as well as to clear the debts from 1954. The April 1955 issue of The Oarswoman reported, “One new suggestion was that members might get their mothers to hold bring and buy teas for their friends.” Later in 1956 though, the question of fundraising took on a whole new meaning with the launch of a quiz in aid of international funds. Entries were 6d each (that’s 6 pence, youngsters), and 53 completed quizzes were submitted, “Plus a completely foolish one from Davy Jones, Esq., The Locker, Southsea, which caused us a lot of amusement.” The newsletter does not relate how many sixpenny question sheets were actually sold, but those that were filled in raised a mere £1.7.0 after what was clearly HOURS of the editor, Joyce Sagar’s time spent devising the questions and marking the answers. The winner was Grace Harvey, a stalwart of Alpha Women’s ARC.
Despite these only being drops in the fiscal ocean, the WARA was busy spending money in preparation for future international involvement:
“Hope of a crew good enough to represent this country in the four-oared event at Bled in 1956 were not realised. As one of the main difficulties in preparing possible crews for Championships has been the lack of suitable boats for training and racing in this country, the Women’s ARA has decide to spend all it has and mortgage a substantial portion of the income it looks forward to receiving in 1957 to order two coxed sectional shell fours, both to be capable of being rigged for four-oar rowing or as quad scullers. These boats will be available for shell four racing in this country and for the training of crews seeking to reach Championship standard. A reasonable charge will be made to Clubs using the boats.” – British Rowing Almanack, 1957
The reason for buying a brace of boats was so that two crews could compete against each other in matched boats. The WARA appealed to clubs for funds “to enable the Association to provide these two boats as soon as possible, so that genuinely constructive work can go ahead in helping British oarswomen to reach championship standards in the very near future.” (The Oarswoman). One of these boats was used by the Stuart Ladies four that raced at the Women’s European Rowing Championships in 1957.